November 18, 2013

Making a Tree Pillow

Hi all!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!  I don't usually decorate this early but have been making new Christmas decorations to match the new decor and needed the proper background to demonstrate.  So one side of our house is decorated for Christmas - the other side is still 'under construction.'

I saw this pillow for sale recently and loved it.  But instead of buying it, I decided to try to make one myself.

I cut out two pieces of white fabric 20" x 20"  for the body of the pillow.  I used the same white fabric that I've used to slip cover the furniture in the living room and dining room.   I then cut two pieces of burlap the approximate sizes I wanted for the trees.

I folded each one of the tree fabrics in half and cut out the shape of a tree with a trunk at the bottom.  
Folding them in half will guarantee that your trees will be symmetrical. 
I pinned the trees on one of my pieces of fabric that I'd cut for the outside of the pillow, positioning them where I wanted them.  (Don't sew your pillow together yet!)

I sewed them on leaving a 1/3" edge on the body of the trees but sewing as close to the edge as I could on the trunks of the trees.  I then frayed the edges of the body of the trees.

Then turning the pillow fabric right sides in, I sewed the body of the pillow together, leaving a 5" opening at the bottom to stuff the filling in.
I used poly-fil batting to stuff the pillow being sure to get it into the corners.  Then I sewed the bottom of the pillow together by hand.

And here is my pillow - made out of scraps of fabric that I already had!



You can easily adjust this idea to fit your color scheme.  I think it would look in almost any color.

Have a wonderful week!  Love and blessings,

He will cover you with His feathers and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.  Psalm 91:4.

2 comments: