March 7, 2015

I am the Righteousness of God through Christ Jesus!

My daughter was still a little girl when she asked me one day, "Mom, what's your favorite Bible verse?"  Instantly my mind swirled with all the beautiful scripture that I knew, the way God had spoken to me in special circumstances with each one and how it would be impossible to pick  a favorite.  It would be like picking a favorite love song or a favorite day in my life. 

Because a Bible verse isn't just a Bible verse - it's a moment with God.

But the next day I told her that I thought I had picked one.



"He made Him (Jesus) who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

The whole story of mankind summed up in one verse.  God made Jesus, who was perfect and Holy and who knew NO sin to BECOME SIN for us so that we might become the RIGHTEOUSNESS of GOD through Him!  Mind-boggling!

God hung on a cross and became sin to pay mankind's debt and because of the life-blood that He shed, I have become 'the righteousness of God!'

I remember the first time I realized what this verse was saying.

I have had a wonderful book for the last 30 years called, "Prayers That Avail Much"  compiled by Germaine Copeland.  I'm on my 5th copy.  My previous 4 copies literally fell apart because I had used them so much.  It's simply the Word of God grouped into topics for you to pray over yourself.  I finally bought the 25 year anniversary copy that's bound in leather like a Bible and holds up much better.

But shortly after having this book I came across a prayer that had 2 Cor 5:21 turned around to first person.  And the first time I tried to say, "I am the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus,"  I couldn't do it.  I sat there dumbfounded.  Could that be right?  Because of the sacrifice of Jesus, I am now the righteousness of God?  It took me a while and some tears, but I finally got it.

A moment with God.

I finally understood that because of my Saviour Jesus, I am a new and perfect creature in the covenant of Christ.  I am clothed in a robe of righteousness. Because of His sacrifice and my acceptance, I am washed clean and made whole.  When God looks at me, He does not see my sin. Instead He sees the sacrifice of Jesus that I've accepted.

And when the enemy looks at me, He's blinded by the light of Jesus.  When I speak out the Word of God it comes with power and blinding light and it destroys the works of the evil.  I am God's mouth-piece on this earth. It's like the song says - "Not because of who I am, but because of what You've done.  Not because of what I've done, but because of Who You are."  (Chris Tomlin)

And now I remind myself of it all the time.  And I tell others..."You're the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus!"  We need to know who we are.  We need to walk in it.  It's the key to everything else.  It's Christ in us, the hope of Glory.

And because I know that that's who God intends me to be, I have hope that I can live up to that.  I have an image before my mind's eye - a goal to attain. The Word says, "As a man thinks, so he is." (Proverbs 23:7) As I keep this pure thought before me, I begin to walk in it.  

And I become the Word of God.  

love and blessings~



"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."  Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment