March 10, 2015

The Blessing of Pain

None of us get through this life without emotional pain.  The death of a parent, the loss or rejection of a loved one, emotional or physical abuse - all these things are very common in this world - and can cause deep emotional wounds.  If we let them.

I don't propose that we have the power to overcome these things by ourselves - but 'in Christ' we can. And I think we can actually benefit.

How we handle pain can 'make us or break us.'  The old saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," can be true but sometimes what doesn't kill us, might just make us bitter.  And then the enemy has gained a strong-hold in our lives.

I have had a very painful situation in my life from a very young age - my dad.  Without going into detail and losing the focus of this post, this hurt in my life has shaped me and has had the potential to destroy the calling on my life.  My dad died this past November and the last few months have been very hard.  So I want to propose a new thought - what if pain can be a blessing?

 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

This is a truth that I remind myself of whenever I am tempted to be discouraged.  And meditating on this thought until it becomes a reality to you can change your perspective on everything.

It's the painful things in our lives that shape us the most.  The Word tells us that Jesus learned obedience through suffering (Hebrews 5:8) and it's always fascinated me that Jesus, Who was perfect and without sin, had to suffer to learn obedience.  And I confess that I don't understand that at all. But if Jesus had to suffer then I can accept that suffering can be a righteous thing and that God can use it to change us for His Glory.

So in this season, I have talked a lot to God.  For me, this is different than 'prayer.'  Prayer, to me, is to get into the Presence of God, receive His direction and declare the things that He is saying.

But I talk to God all day long.  I give Him my hurts, tell Him what I'm thinking and ask Him to correct me and help me, confess my weaknesses, tell Him how much I need Him and that He is perfect in all His ways.  I depend on God to get through my day.

And in this season, I've submitted to the pain.

I've asked God to use this pain to shape me into the person He's called me to be.  I won't say for one minute that this has been easy.  I have tears in my eyes even as I write this.  And I can't say that I don't 'fear' how deeply this hurt can go.

But I know I have a Saviour.  He is Faithful and True. I know He sees every hurt that's in my heart and He puts every tear in a bottle (Psalm 56:8).  I know He knows me better than I know myself and even more than that, He knows things that I don't know.  He knows what's coming.  He knows what I need.  He knows how to help me and strengthen me.  I yield myself whole-heartedly to His wisdom and love.

This season is still hard but I can't imagine how hard it would be without Him.  Without Him, I would be lost and I would break.  But with Him, I am trusting that I will come out victorious and filled with joy.  I am trusting that someday I will be able to look at this season in my life and see His presence through it all.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I have been fulling known." 1 Cor 13:12

love and blessings~


"Behold, I have inscribed YOU on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me." Isaiah 49:16


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, sweet Lynda, for sharing your heart this morning! This is just what I needed to hear on THIS day. I think I may have said this before, but God is using you mightily! And thank you for being open and vulnerable and obedient to the Lord by using your gift of putting your thoughts and insights into words. May you be blessed exponentially as you continue to share what the Holy Spirit lays on your heart!

    ReplyDelete