April 6, 2015

Decoupaging a French Planter

I hope you all had a beautiful, blessed Easter!  

We woke up to 6" of snow here in Michigan. Snow boots and Easter dresses - lol

I've had this little 'treasure' for several years.  I've always loved the pattern on it and the little gold legs.  It was one of my favorite things when our house was done in reds and yellows but when I redecorated, it obviously didn't match any longer.

So it's been stored away for a while gathering dust. But the other day I pulled out these napkins and it dawned on me that I could use them to decoupage this container.

My daughter joked when I started blogging that I should call my blog, "There's a Spray Paint for That."  (She's a funny girl.)  We have several things in our house that have a few layers of paint. I just 'make it match' when I redecorate. lol  

I had decoupaged some Easter eggs last year after seeing Yvonne at Stone Gable use napkins to make hers beautiful and was thinking about doing it again but suddenly I realized that I could use this same technique on this planter.


I started by first priming the planter with Zinsser 1-2-3, giving it a white finish.  The napkins are thin and I didn't want the red showing through.  (My napkins had two layers; one plain white and one that had the pattern.  Be sure to pull them apart and use only the printed layer if yours are like this.)

After it dried, I cut a piece from the napkin big enough to cover the front of the planter, making sure the pattern was centered.

I pressed it on, applying Mod Podge, trimming along the curved edge.
I kept cutting pieces of napkins to fit the odd shape, cutting them so they would follow the curve.
It's better to use a busy pattern when doing something like this.  You really don't notice where the pattern is not consistent on this because it's so busy.

This planter has an old gold edge along the top that I didn't want to cover up so I trimmed carefully along the top and pressed the edge down well with the glue.
I also trimmed it along the bottom to let the feet show.

I let it dry well and then applied another coat of Mod Podge.  When that dried I sprayed it with a finishing spray.  My surface is not perfectly smooth but again, the pattern is so busy you really can't tell.  And it kind of makes it look old.

This planter is metal and finished well on the inside so it can be used for fresh flowers. The finishing spray makes it moisture proof on the outside although I wouldn't want to soak it.

I filled it with silk roses and used it as a centerpiece on our Easter table.
I'll show you the whole tablescape tomorrow.  

I had the whole family over for dinner several weeks ago. I set the table with flowers and lit candles. My sweet 4 year old grandson sat down and looked at everything. His little faced looked completely enchanted and he exclaimed, "This is PRETTY, Gigi!"  I was surprised that he even noticed.  So now I make the table beautiful for my Levi.

Have a wonderful day!  I am so thankful for the gift of Christ and His sacrifice of love for us.  As far as I'm concerned, it's Easter every day.

love and blessings~




" He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.  For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.  He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." Colossians 1:15-17
Follow me on Facebook - Gates of Crystal
I'm joining these parties:Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis MondayStone Gable The ScoopThe Dedicated House

6 comments:

  1. How pretty! Now I am wondering what I need to 'make match' . :)
    It's those little things that our hearts flutter. As I type, this GG has a little sweetie snuggled up to my chest, sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! You're a GG too, of course! Our grandchildren add so much joy to our lives. Hope you had a beautiful Easter, Gee!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!

    Easter Blessings each day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lynda
    It has been wonderful meeting you.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete